Thursday, June 5, 2008

Change is a-Brewin'

So, should you not yet know, Greg was recently offered a position at Toyota's new plant in Woodstock - painting cars (although not quite like the car he and Isaiah are driving at left) - and he has accepted. The auto industry here in south-western Ontario has really been suffering lately, save for Japanese companies it seems, so some sort of change was really inevitable. And although it is good news, it is sort of bad at the same time.

Why?

Well, for one I like where I live. We've got a nice house - though it's not perfect, there are many things I would change were I to build again - on a nice sized lot in a town where Greg has countless family and friends living. We're fairly close to London, where we seem to do the majority of our activities and shopping. And I hate moving. I've hardly really had to do it - an entire house, that is - and I hate it. And yet I'm sort of interested in getting something new again that has the things I wish I had've stuck with in the first place with this build.

Anyway, I'll spare you the list of pros and cons, as it's fairly lengthy in my mind... but we are seriously considering moving to Woodstock, which would obviously be convenient for the both of us, as we'll both be working there come February of next year (when I return to teaching after maternity leave). I mean we could drive together when he is on day shift, though it makes for long days for our kids especially, as we'd be out of the house by 5:45 and not back until nearly 6 p.m.. And that would mean a continuance of some serious money spent on gas (when just I was commuting, I was spending a third of my paycheck on gas!), the cost of which is ever inflating in our part of the world.

So, I don't know. We'll weigh our options and see how it goes. I'm a fairly firm believer in "all things happen for a reason," even if I'm not much of a risk-taker. Stay tuned for the changes that actually take effect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope things work out the way you'd like them too! The new blog layout looks great.

Anonymous said...

Life is full of changes, Nat. Some we choose, others just happen. Our resilience and ability to adapt make change a positive experience. As Gregory often says, "It will all work out it the end." And it usually does.
XO