Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Sigh of Relief

I did it, I survived. My exams are marked, report card comments written, marks transferred, failure forms filled out (much to my dismay), personal belongings packed and home (just in case this spring proves successful in my attempt to transfer)... now it's just a matter of delivering a baby. I managed the stress of everything else, though sacrificed my thumb nails as I wrestled with staples, but I can't say I'd like to do it again any time soon.

Not to complain, because I know your first thoughts will be that we teachers get 2 months off in the summer, but if you knew what I went through the last few days - marking 32 grade 11 exams, 22 grade 12 exams, and 25 grade nine exams (all of which had an essay component, I might add), plus 25 character analysis essays as well as generating comments - all in a span of 48 hours while watching my 14 month old son - you'd leave that thought to stir in your head, I'd hope. Because I did all of that unpaid, I might add (not that I'm looking for credit, but sometimes people don't realize what teaching entails). Although I couldn't have done it without the help of my parents, all of whom took turns watching Isaiah for some time over the weekend so that I could focus on getting my work done.

And so done I am, in more than one sense (although Braylon doesn't agree - he's hoping to show up on SuperBowl Sunday, I suspect). I must say it is quite relaxing to think I've really very little to do for an entire year now, save for spending all my time with my sons! Although (thanks to my anal retentiveness and nesting inclinations, as well as my what-can-I-do-to-keep-my-mind-off-the-fact-that-I've-yet-to-deliver thoughts), I've kept myself busy thus far cleaning the house and making sure things will carry on in my absence of 3 days should Braylon make an appearance. (Any day now, buddy.)

And of course I've been glad to be back home with Isaiah full time, even if that means changing dirty diapers and dealing with his new-found ability to throw temper tantrums (and so what will the terrible twos have in store for us?!). I love my job (even if it means having to go through the end-of-semester stress 2 times a year), but I love being home with my family even more. He's definitely coming into his own, and I look forward to seeing how he'll deal with being a big brother! It's going to be a huge adjustment!

So, hopefully you next read that I've delivered a healthy baby boy (who, at this point, is likely to be just as large as was Isaiah, since he's getting extra time in the "oven")... stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Braylon!! I love it! I've never heard it before, and I obviously don't watch football, since I haven't heard it :)

I can't wait to hear the big news, and congrats already on completing all that WORK!! whew, breath a sigh of relief:)

drumming my fingers,
Leanne