Sunday, December 16, 2007

Winter Wonderland

Surprisingly, the weather forecast was right on target for once, as we woke up to a winter wonderland, as predicted. And it hasn't let up yet. I'm thankful it is Sunday, because having to wake up and drive an hour's commute to work in this would not have been in the least bit enjoyable. In fact, I don't think it would have been possible, as our road is still not plowed out (and it's after 1 p.m.). Thankfully Greg's uncle Tony came to plow out our laneway, though I suspect it may be just as full by evening as, with very little protection due to a lack of trees, we've got both the falling snow and wind to contend with in our neighbourhood. That, and once they do finally get to our road, the plow will fill in the end of the laneway fairly full, I'm sure.

I did make the most of the wintery morning to test out Isaiah's sled from last Christmas once the driveway was semi-clear. Despite disliking the blast of snow in the face from the north, he quite enjoyed being outside this go-round (we tried it last year in weather like this and lasted outside all of 3 minutes, perhaps). His boots are still a little big, but he looked so cute bundled up in his snow suit. And I couldn't help but laugh at Raider having to jump through the snow in the backyard when we let him out this morning, because the snow was up past his legs.

But it has made my normal tendency to procrastinate marking worse (why I continue to leave it to Sunday is beyond me), as now that Isaiah is down for an afternoon nap, I much prefer taking in the snowfall that has yet to let up and watching my neighbour kids try to snowboard down the pile of snow (that's about the biggest "mountain" you'll get in Strathroy anyway).
We've really had a low-key December so far, to be honest, and Sundays around here are pretty typical: Greg watches football (though I'm not convinced watches conveys what it's actually like...), I get around to marking some English, eventually... Raider takes long siestas, and both of us watch Isaiah get in to just about everything, which has become worse since his new found ability to walk. For the longest time he was taking 4 or 5 steps, giving up and crawling the remainder of the distance, but just last week he began to motor.
Actually, last weekend we found it pretty funny that he could drive himself around the house on his motorized bike (by pushing down the button the handle - although he also didn't realize he had to let go, and would continue trying to ride it through walls, or whatever had obstructed his path), but really couldn't walk from A ot B. But now he's up and walking much of the time. I can only imagine what it will be like trying to chase him around when I'm nursing a newborn... although it's getting difficult as it is with this belly. Ahh the last leg... definitely down to the uncomfortable stage and wondering when this little guy will make his appearance!
Anyhow, not all weekends are uneventful. We did take him skating last Saturday, though by we I mean he coasted around the ice on a lap of luxury - my eight month preggo belly - while Greg stood at the boards and watched. Were it not for the fact that I can actually skate (though I'm going to have a hard time returning to compete with two years off from these back to back pregnancies), I think people would have been concerned that a preggo was carrying around a little boy on the ice. Actually, Greg did buy him some skates of his own that morning, but they're far too big. Anyway...
And we've had a few Christmas parties thus far as well, which I always enjoy this time of year. I hate that they tend to fall at the same time, such as last Saturday, when we fit in three in one day. But it's great to see friends and spend time with family, especially so we gals can compare pregnancies - and bellies!! And thus begins the festive season (though for me it means having to mark two classes worth of essays plus Gr. 12 ISPs because I need to stay on top of things should I go early this time).
So perhaps I should suck it up and pull out the assignments and the good 'ole red pen. I just figured an update was in order, and what better day to do it than this. Now if only I could get around to my Christmas cards... sorry everyone, but they may not show up this year!

No comments: