Friday, September 18, 2009

Third Time's a...

...I'd really love to say charm, honestly. And although my labour was far quicker this go around, I can't say it was any easier the third time. In fact, Caleb had to be coerced into the world, as he was comfy and snug in the womb with no sign of vacating the premises (despite many attempts to evict him...).

So I'll spare the gory details - we women all have our labour/delivery stories - but I had to be induced in order to deliver Caleb, which was an altogether different, and might I add intense, experience. I was rather overdue by that point, though I'm not entirely certain of how many days since the doctors never really agreed on a "due date" per se. And so after only 5.5 hours of labour, including the time I was induced and the drug took effect, Caleb Cameron Rebelo finally entered this world!
Caleb weighed in at 8 lbs. 7 oz., 20 inches in length - the middle weight and length of my three boys. He was close to being born on 09/09/09, but neither of us were willing to wait another day at that point! He's been home now for 10 days, and this morning I took him to the Well Baby Clinic to weigh him and he's up to 8 lbs. 12.5 oz., which is great because he left on the 10th at 7 lbs. 13 oz. So as far as feeding, he's doing well. He's not the greatest nurser - mostly in terms of latching - but we're making progress, and he's the most content of the three, going usually 3.5-4 hours between feedings. His nights are getting slightly better, though we've a long way to go before I see solid sleep again, that I know! (What is the trick, Juliana?!)
The older two absolutely adore him - they're constantly wanting to kiss him and hold him. They love to lie down beside him, and are the first to inform me when he's awake, as they're desperate for another playmate. So far they haven't been too possessive of mommy, and in fact they've been incredibly understanding of mommy's need to attend to Caleb's needs first. KNOCK ON WOOD! They seem, so far, to be proud big brothers.
As for handling three, so far it hasn't been that bad. We've not had to adjust our routine too much, since Caleb mostly eats and sleeps during the day, save for a few moments of wakefulness spread throughout the day. He's been a fantastic baby so far, and though I know it will be harder as he grows older, particularly in a few months' time, I'm very blessed to have such wonderful children. I know I said I'd be disappointed if I never had a little girl, but I wouldn't trade my three boys for anything - they are the most precious things in the world.
Looking forward to sharing the next steps of our lives with three children under three (for awhile, at least...). Hope you enjoy reading the snippets of our adventures!

No comments: