Monday, April 19, 2010

We May Have Reached a Milestone

Okay, so if you've been with me for awhile, you well know the struggles I had potty training Isaiah. And what with my nephew already trained, I'm slightly discouraged that Braylon isn't, at 27 months. That being said, I'm slightly apprehensive about pushing him. I know we're supposed to let them train when they are ready. But he really has shown signs of readiness. And it seems today we may have reached a milestone. He woke up this morning refusing the diaper, so into big boy underwear he went. And so far so good. He asked three times this morning to use the potty, once to poo, and I took him once when I thought it'd been awhile since the last time he'd gone. All four times there were results. He's back in his undies post nap, and so far so good again! In fact, I JUST took him and he chimed, "Yeah, me!" after looking to be sure he had done a "big pee" in the potty. (I can't believe my blogging life focuses so much on potty training and so little on thoughts flying through my head, but that's for another time.)

He's just such a different kid than Isaiah was. It's incredible the spectrum, really, that must exist, as in many ways my oldest two are polar opposites. He's such a ham, honestly. Isaiah too, but Braylon gets anyone going and just soaks up positive attention. Take yesterday, making "KISS" faces with Bert at Max's luncheon. Or the things he says to us as we're trying to get him to sleep.


I've really noticed a change in him by far the most the last while. Particularly in terms of his words. Before, he really let Isaiah speak for him, and really only I understood what he was intending to communicate. But now he's speaking sentences, understandable to most. He's counting to ten (well, sort of to twenty, actually, but he does 10 with no mistakes... he misses fourteen when counting to twenty). He's trying quite hard to carry on conversations now, and wants you to know exactly what he means to say.

It's other things as well. He has never been one for cartoons (where Isaiah can sit for hours, were he allowed, in front of the tv watching cartoons, Braylon doesn't avert one single glance in its direction). He's a very active boy, who just likes to play. And lately he's been into things more sophisticated. Take, for instance, how Greg noticed yesterday that, where a normal toddler would (and he himself used to) simply whack at a ball or puck with a hockey stick or golf club, he now tries hard to stick handle. At 2. On the floor of course, as I've yet to convince my boys to appreciate the ice like I do. It's phenomenal, really, watching how he carefully taps the ball to see just how much control he needs. (Maybe I should have him coach me, as I'm jumping into a new sport: ball hockey, next week and, did I mention, am completely uncoordinated when it comes to sports involving hand-eye coordination... that's why I play soccer and skate!!).


I'm interested to see where Caleb will fit in. He's really changing these days as well, but that will be for another post! I think two in one day, considering I've not blogged for ages (again, I know), is good for now!

No comments: